Thursday, February 28, 2008

About that middle name

What is it about our middle name? Do you like yours? Even though mine isn’t all that bad I don’t like folks to use it. I’d rather be known by my front name or my first two initials. My sister, Norma, shortened my name to JB when I was a kid. My three sisters were given original names that mom thought up just for them. My first and middle name came from two of my father’s sisters. Since I was her 4th daughter, maybe mom thought it was time to honor her sister-in-laws. I was the only daughter my mother named after a family member.

Hillary Clinton seems to be trying to turn her former last name into a middle name. I guess she will drop the one her parents gave her. Diane. Hillary Diane Clinton, that sounds pretty, but the acronymn HDC sounds like a government agency or a contagious disease. HRC sounds better, even if those initials bring a risque series of words to my mind. HRC wouldn’t like it if she knew what I was thinking.

Barack’s mother gave him a middle name that must have been meant to honor his ancestors. His acronymn, BHO, sounds like one of those new fangled burgers you eat at the organic restaurant. Beef, horseradish and onion in a sourdough wrap. Weather Barack would eat it or not I haven’t a clue. His mother probably wasn’t thinking about acronymns when she gave him his name.

Which brings me to my point. Barack's mother, may she rest in peace, gave him his name. He didn’t have a say in the matter. I guess he could have changed it when he grew up, but why should he do that? His name honors his ancestry. Why shouldn’t he be allowed to keep that connection alive?

Whats going on now, with conservatives trying to bring dishonor to the Obama name is exactly why I think all conservatives should be voted out of office. conservatives are mean spirited and hateful people. They don’t believe in bipartisan governing. They don’t believe in the words you will always see at the top of my webpage.
Don’t ever forget that.


02/29 UPDATE
For a Somewhat Different Viewpoint: Read also, by Nathan Thornburgh on TIME.com Why Is Obama's Middle Name Taboo?