Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Civil War Pledge of Allegiance

Confederate soldiers captured by Union Army who signed this pledge were given their freedom.

I do solemnly swear that I will bear true allegiance to the United States and support and sustain the Constitution and laws there of, that I will maintain the national sovereignty - paramount to that of all States, County or Confederate Powers; that I will discountenance discourage and forever oppose succession, rebellion, and disintegration of the Federal Union; that I disclaim and denounce all faith and fellowship with the so-called Confederate States and Confederate Armies and pledge my honor my property and my life to the sacred performance of this my solemn oath of allegiance to the Government of the United States of America.

subscribed and sworn to …... July……, 1862

The penalty for a violation of this oath is death.