Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Do you drive the posted speed limit?

I usually do. I don't much like driving fast, 65 on our local freeways is fast enough. My husband usually observes the speed limit too. Except for rural roadways where he drives faster than me. I usually go about 40 mph. And that is what started our ongoing discussion about road kill.

I have a theory that the wildlife learns from the usual flow of traffic. I think there would be a lot less road kill if folks just slowed down on rural roads. Especially around water sources the wildlife might be trying to reach. When folks drive the speed limit this helps the wild creatures learn to judge the approaching vehicle's timing. Birds are pretty good about getting out of the road when a vehicle approaches. Rabbits and possums seem to have the worst score. Buzzards will play highway chicken. If the buzzard is devouring a road kill it may not move till the car is practically on top of it. A small lapse of judgment could turn the buzzard into road kill. I guess then we would have road kill a la buzzaard. But that hardly ever happens.

Sometimes, folks who live north of me turn their six pack of dogs out to run. Because I had seen political signs in their yard that opposed my choices, my overactive imagination used to worry that the dogs were turned out to chase Democrats. Except the dogs don't run. Instead, the dogs go out to the road and take a nap. Any car approaching wakes them. They get up and get ready to chase. Wildly barking, and tripping all over one another the dogs run along beside my car managing to keep up for a short distance. When they fall behind they give up . I usually give a toot on the horn to declare victory as I drive away. The dogs just go back to sleep. The dogs behavior is a metaphor for Democratic leadership I often think. BTW there are very few roads around here where this is done anymore. Folks have learned the hard way that pets and highways don't mix. Except for my unconscious neighbors to the north.

So the next time you are driving on a rural road and see lots of road kill along the way, you might assume:
1. the cops may not patrol the road very often
2. lots of speeders use the road
3. you will be passed by a speeder at least once if you observe the speed limit as you drive.
4. the buzzards are busy elsewhere.

Of course the only way to prove my theory is for everyone to slow down and drive the speed limit.