Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I am free to choose

Sorry Rev. Warren, this will be mostly about me.

You fired another volley in the never ending debate over a woman’s right to an abortion when you asked Obama and McCain when rights begin for a baby. Folks thought you had found a new way to ask the question . And I guess you did. You also opened a door to my past when you asked that question.

You see Rev. Warren 40 some years ago an abortion saved my life. Just that simple. I was bleeding to death from an internal hemorrhage. I wouldn’t be here today if the doctors who were attending me had not agreed to do “something” to change my dire situation. I was asked if I would agree to an abortion. I was given time to talk with my minister. And you know what, even today, 40 some years later, I feel the pain. I feel the misery. I feel the horrible consequence I feared would come upon me for choosing to live. Yet, I could not let myself die. Why is that so awful? Why must you inflict pain upon my soul with your implied judgment filled with bitter condemnation?

Forty some years ago, the Lord gave me power over myself. I was free to choose to live or choose to die. I agreed to proceed with a therapeutic abortion. I had a God given right to choose life. I accepted what I saw as the Lord’s gift of life for me. I believed the Lord did not want me to die. A few years later, this same power was made available to all the women of America when the Supreme Court decided the case Roe vs Wade.

“You would have no power at all over me unless it were given to you from above.” Jesus said in John 19: 11.

Rev. Warren, with all due respect, I would suggest to you and your followers THE POWER TO MAKE THIS CHOICE WAS TAKEN FROM YOU AND GIVEN TO ME AND ALL WOMEN BY GOD. It is past the time for you to accept the Lord’s decision. It is time for you to let go the old ways of the past and take up the future the Lord has planned for His beloved sons and daughters. The gifts that God has brought to our world through medical advances and scientific research are meant to be used.

further reading: The Bible, John 19: 1-42 the story of Jesus on the Cross.
Before he turned Jesus over to the Jewish leaders Pilate asked Jesus...” Where are you from 9 ..... don’t you realize that I have the power to release you or to crucify you?” 10 and Jesus said,” You would have no power at all over me unless it were given to you from above. So those who brought me to you have the greater sin.” John 19: 9-10-11