Thursday, August 21, 2008

Should Obama keep his VP a secret till the roll call?

UPDATE: Monday, August 25, well, he went ahead and told the world that he had settled on Senator Joe Biden. Funny thing, first, I liked Obama, then I got afraid to support him because of the racism problem we old folks are often accused of having. I switched to Joe Biden and when I saw Obama was going to run despite the racism issue I switched back to Obama. Now I have both of the men I like on the ticket.

Something I have noticed since I published this post on 8/21; the HRC supporters who call C-Span in the mornings do not sound like Democrats. They actually sound like conservative talk radio implants. They talk too loud. They sound mean-spirited. They exhibit a spoiling for a fight mentality which I associate with the conservatives. Could these angry folks be the same Republican voters who voted for HRC in the Primary? Their nefarious vote went for naught so now they want to mess up the Democratic convention with public demonstrations. And hope to boondoggle the convention roll call vote by convincing delegates HRC support is stronger than it really is.

Aug. 21, 2008
An AP story I found on Yahoo News headlined Biden's emergence in VP race crystalizes concerns represents Sen. Joe Biden as someone who can address two of Obama's biggest weaknesses — his lack of experience, especially on world affairs, and his reluctance to attack his opponent and also calls Biden a curious front-runner. Oh well, I guess Biden knows he can't please everybody all the time.
Also in the article is the statement that Obama plans to appear with his newly selected running mate Saturday, with the pick announced via text message to supporters.

SO, hmmmm. If I was advising Sen. Obama I would suggest he keep his VP choice a secret until the convention roll call has been completed. Not knowing the choice might help to rein in some of the more zealous Clinton supporters who will attend the convention. The Columbus Dispatch ran this Scripps Howard News Service story by Bartholomew Sullivan on Aug. 20th, Clinton backers fuel anti-Obama cyber effort which fired up my engines enough to gab about it for a half hour with a sister-in-law who is sympathetic to my viewpoint.
Later on, I found this on CBS News website by Glenn Thrush of Politico Clinton Creates 'whip Team' To Quell Anti-Obama Protests which gives a much calmer view of the situation in Denver.

I pretty much changed my mind about giving two nights of the convention to the Clintons after I read a blog post that suggested folks think of these evenings as the Clinton swan song. I can stand it when I think of it like that.

I support Barack Obama all the way. The petty criticisms I might write about here are not big enough to make me change my mind. The only thing that could do that is if he named HRC to be his VP or he somehow managed to lose the nomination to Clinton during the roll call. If that happened it would prove Obama is too inexperienced to be our President.

Lynn Sweet offers The most complete list to date of Democratic convention speakers. Jimmy Carter, Mayor Daley and more I wonder if the VP name is among those on the list?
Didn't see my favorite, Congressman Gene Taylor from Mississippi.